Caran Johnson Unknowingly Live-Tweets Husband's Death While Following Car Crash News

In an heartbreaking sad unfolding of events, a Vancouver woman unwillingly live-tweeted the fatal crash that killed her husband Wednesday afternoon on Interstate 205.

Caran Johnson
After the collision was reported at 13:41, The Columbian started reporting on the accident in the southbound lanes on Twitter based on emergency scanner traffic.

Caran Johnson, using the Twitter handle @scancouver, responded to the tweets and started reporting on the crash as well:

“i hate that section of I205 S. too many on ramps, speeders and too few lanes.”

“@troyglidden @Col_cops this accident sounds horrible.”

The mother of two regularly listens in on emergency scanner traffic through an application downloaded on her PC. Wednesday afternoon was no exception. She expressed sympathy after the
Washington State Patrol confirmed that one person died in the two-car collision near Milepost 33.

“@Col_cops @wspd5pio omg that is so horrible!!!”

“nice, two vehicles went around officer blocking onramp to I205S. lame-o’s!”

Craig Johnson
Then, she worried about her husband, 47-year-old Craig R. Johnson.

“I’m trying not to panic, but my husband left work early and he drives 205 to get home. he’s not answering his phone.”

“and he’s late.”

“@KF7PSC well he uses his bluetooth, so he would answer his phone. he also wasn’t feeling good so his work was concerned when he left”

“i’m a basketcase.”

“I just called his work and he was feeling faint when he left work. #panic”

She asked the state patrol’s spokesman, Trooper Will Finn, and The Columbian’s photographer who went to the accident site, Zachary Kaufman, for a description of the involved vehicles. At that point in the investigation, they didn’t have a description for her.

  1. Trooper Will Finn
She asked how bad the traffic was on the interstate. The right lane of the southbound interstate was closed, along with the onramp from westbound Padden Parkway. The Washington State Department of Transportation then said the southbound interstate was backed up to 134th Street in Salmon Creek.

“how long do i wait for him to come home before I call the police?”

“i just called 911 and they transferred me after I gave them his license number and told me that they will call me back. wtf?”

“and now my kids are home from school …”

“He’s the one I go to for things like this …”

And then, she found out from a pair of state patrol sergeants.

“it’s him. he died.”

Craig Johnson’s northbound Hyundai crossed the grassy median just north of Padden Parkway and collided head-on with a southbound Toyota pickup truck. He was declared dead at the scene. A Life Flight helicopter was temporarily put on standby for the Tacoma woman driving the Toyota, Carol S. Shelley, 54. She was transported by ambulance to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center’s intensive care unit. She was listed in satisfactory condition late Wednesday..

After collision technicians investigated the crash site for about two hours, the interstate and onramp were reopened. The cause of the collision is under investigation.

“We’re not quite sure what’s happened yet,” the patrol’s Finn said.

Fellow tweeters extended their prayers and sympathies to Caran Johnson, virtually grieving alongside her. An online fundraiser was organized Wednesday evening for Caran and her family.

In a 2012 interview with The Columbian, she said that she has been listening to scanners since college.

She acknowledged that listening to scanner traffic can be morose. As a naturally upbeat person, she tries to focus on the banter among police officers and offbeat news.

“It gets kind of depressing, especially when there are children involved,” she said in the interview. “I try and maintain a positive attitude.”

SOURCE: The Columbian

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen